Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marshmallow Fondant Redemption

I'm a sentimental person, especially concerning experiences.  I like to live them to the fullest, to make them perfectly special.  "Firsts" and "Lasts" especially get me.  Last year was Eme's first birthday.  My sweet daughter... my first daughter, my last biological child.  This was a big event!  And we had just moved into our first home, both our families were in town, it was Easter week, and we had invited a lot of people to celebrate with us.  Everything was so busy but falling nicely (though crazily) into place.  Until I tried to make a butterfly cake.  I am usually successful in the culinary endeavors I undertake, so it was a bit of a shock to my system that I couldn't seem to follow simple directions to turn two round cakes into a butterfly.  Cut it, turn the pieces, frost.  First, it was a brain bender to figure out how to turn those silly pieces.  Second, frost fresh, crumbly cake sides that have been cut?  Yeah.  In your dreams.  As silly as it may seem to you, it crushed me inside to know that my precious daughter's first birthday cake was a disaster (according to my perfectionistic standards).  It would forever be documented, too, because of course numerous pictures are part of a first birthday celebration.  I had to give it up internally.  And I was able to let it go with the Lord's help.  It stopped making me sad after a while and just became a memory I (sort of) giggled at.  But guess what -- birthdays come every year!  So, for Eme's second birthday, I decided I would try to make up for last year's flop.

I saw a recipe for Marshmallow Fondant on Allrecipes.  Now, I've never truly had fondant; but I hear it's gross and very hard to work with.  This marshmallow fondant claimed to be easy and tasty.  Sounds good to me!  A new challenge that seems to have an "easy way."

Here is the original recipe from Allrecipes: Marshmallow Fondant

And here is the recipe according to what I did ('cause I'm a recipe tweaker!):

Vegetable shortening
1 1/2 pkg mini marshmallows (approx 16 oz)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp lemon extract (or your favorite!)
2 lbs powdered sugar

1) Place marshmallows in large bowl and microwave 1 minute until they just start to melt.  (If you have a stand mixer, transfer the marshmallows to the mixing bowl.)  Stir in water and extract until mixture is smooth.  Beat in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until a sticky dough forms.  Reserve at least the last cup of powdered sugar for kneading, if not more.

2) Coat your hands with vegetable shortening and begin kneading the dough in the bowl with more powdered sugar.  It will start to come together enough to turn out onto a well dusted counter.  Knead with the reserved powdered sugar about 5-10 minutes until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.  At this point, add in food coloring if desired and knead until color is achieved.  Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

3) When ready to use, allow fondant to come to room temperature.  Dust counter with powdered sugar and begin rolling fondant out to desired size and about 1/4 inch thick.  Continually lift up parts of the fondant and re-dust counter to prevent sticking.  If fondant sticks or rips and becomes unsalvageable, simply ball up the fondant and start again.  Carefully transfer rolled-out fondant or prepare decorations as desired.


I don't think I've ever made such a mess while baking.  I had powdered sugar from my shoulders to my toes.  It was almost a comedy trying to knead the fondant while it was still sticky, and powdered sugar was floofing everywhere!

Fondant, divided and colored.  I like to use gel food coloring.  And that scraper is a best friend for
getting sticky spots off the counter while you're kneading.

Before you put fondant on, first you need cake.  I made a white cake with some added lemon flavor.  I divided the batter and did light blue and dark blue.  Split the layers, stack them, and then you end up with a fun striped cake.  I used my all time favorite frosting recipe, Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting (regular cream cheese, no almond extract).

Get a nice coat all over the cake, as smooth as possible to prepare for the fondant.
An off-set spatula is spectacular for this!

Next day, same mess from shoulders to toes.  :-)  LOVE my new rolling pin -- first real one I've ever had.  Tip: If you want your husband to TELL you to get a new roller, just lose your brain and think it's a good idea to use your current not-so-great plastic roller to stick down vinyl tiles in your mud room.

Yep.  Had to start over.  Dust and re-dust... and dust some more.  Trust me.

Whew!  That was a bit tricky.  Try not to let the full weight of the fondant pull on itself.  That's how cracks appear.   I only had one, whew!  The only other issue I had was some bubbling under the fondant.  I just pushed those to the middle, sliced off the bulge, and the Blue's Clues paw print nicely covered it.  ;-)

Ta-da!  To get rid of the visible powdered sugar, use a small piece of extra fondant to gently rub it into oblivion.
(Ps - I have enough fondant left to do a whole other cake!)

1 comment:

Kay said...

AMAZING!! a beautiful cake from a beautiful Mom for a beautiful little girl<3