Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pinteresting Recipes & Reviews Pt. 2


French Dip Sandwiches - Slow Cooker Style
Here is a delicious, easy recipe!  This is one that I think would be great to serve when you are having a casual dinner with friends and/or family.  My Honey and I both really liked this.  Autumn, my oldest daughter, made this for her family (three kids, 11 and younger).  They all liked it as well.  So I feel safe in saying this is a dish that will satisfy a lot of different people.  I made this thinking we were going to have company but plans changed.  I was sad I didn't get to meet some new friends but happy that I now have the leftovers of this in the freezer for another day :)  Two things of note: 
  1. I checked my meat after being in the crockpot for 6 hours since I had used a bit less than 4 lbs of meat.  I used tongs to pick it up and I was able to life the entire piece of meat.  I figured it wasn’t tender yet so I let it cook another hour or two.  When I checked it again; it fell apart as I lifted it with the tongs. It was so nice and tender *and* very easy to shred.  
  2. I am trying to be careful about using processed foods so I didn’t use the boxed dry onion soup mix. I used a recipe from the Dining on a Dime cookbook Dawn and I have referred to in past blog posts.  Here is that recipe:
Onion Soup Mix
         3/4 cup instant minced onions
         4 tsp. onion powder
         1/3 cup beef bouillon powder (looking for a better form of this)
         1/4 tsp. celery seed, crushed
         1/4 tsp. sugar (didn’t add this)

         Mix all ingredients, and store in an airtight container.
         To use: Add 2 tablespoons mix to 1 cup boiling water. Cover and              
         simmer 15 minutes
        This makes a stronger soup than the store-bought mix, so you can      
        use less.

I used 4 tablespoons of this in the french dip.  I just sprinkled it on like it says in the french dip recipe.  I know if you make this you and your family will enjoy it.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

We LOOOVE this dish!