Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Great Time Saver From Pinterest

Shredding Chicken
Kathie's Tip

Ah, Pinterest, the website that I enjoy.... too much.  It is loaded with such great ideas, some of which seem a little wacky.  Well call me wacky!!  I tried something today that I thought was crazy.  I shredded my chicken breast, for chicken salad, with my mixer.  Now I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer so I don't know if you could do this with a hand mixer or not but WOW.  (I will never hand shred chicken again.  I wonder if you could do this with beef...)  I was concerned that the chicken would wrap around the paddle but it didn't.  I used two chicken breast halves.  (Side note: you know how a chicken breast looks a little bit like the African continent?  Well, did you know that is actually half a chicken breast?  A whole chicken breast is two African continent shaped pieces of meat, joined together by some cartilage.)  So, I cooked a whole chicken breast, let it cool a little, then put it in the mixing bowl and let it go.  :)  Seriously, only about 20 or 30 seconds later.... shredded chicken.  Here are the pictures to show you how it came out.
Before

After!
Poaching Chicken
Dawn's Tip

If you have a recipe you need cooked chicken for, I suggest poaching it.  If you boil chicken in water until it's done, say 10-15 minutes, it will usually be a bit dry.  You've overcooked the chicken!  I saw once on a cooking show that you can actually poach chicken.  It turns out perfectly done and moist rather than dry.  Place your chicken in a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat.  Let sit 15 minutes.  Check for white centers just to be sure it's done.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

Autumn said...

that's TERRIFIC! do you know what size mixer you have? I may be getting one as a birthday gift! :D

Dawn said...

I have tried this a couple times since Momma told me about it -- works like a charm! Used it for BBQ chicken sandwiches and chicken salad. I might have used it for chicken enchilada filling, but I can't remember. :-) Just make sure you start out slow until the chicken is broken a bit, then increase speed.

Autumn, my mixer is just the normal Artisan stand mixer size. But in Mango. ;-)

besnini said...

My mixer is like Dawn's in white

Jaclyn said...

I like to bake chicken at 350 for 30 minutes, but poaching sounds so much better for the summer heat when I do not want the oven on. I also use my crockpot to cook big batches of chicken for cubing and shredding!

Dawn said...

Could you share with us how you use your crockpot for batches of chicken? I do that for a big batch of Chicken Pot Pie filling, but what do you do for plain chicken? Water? Oo, I bet you could do a double whammy and make broth while you're at it! Do share!

besnini said...

I think Jaclyn should do a guest post! What do you all thinK? I'm all about easy ways to cook chicken.