Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A New Friend

I'm starting to hear more and more about Bar Keepers Friend, a cleaning product.  I finally remembered to look for it at Lowes when we were there last (ok, I didn't remember... we just happened to be walking down the cleaning aisle to a different area when I realized I could look for it).  The main reason I was interested is because I saw on Pinterest that it can be used to get gray silverware marks off of white dishes.  Well, I have a whole set of marked-up white dishes!!  It did wonders, I tell you.  See for yourself!  Now I can make them sparkle like nearly-new anytime I want rather than ho-humming about white dishes that look over used.  All you do is get a damp cloth, squirt some Bar Keepers Friend on the cloth or dish, use some elbow grease to rub the marks off, rinse, and wash the dish.

Ps - Remember those knives at I bought at BJs in April and raved about how great they were though it seemed like a too-good-to-be-true deal?  Well, I hate to say it, but some of them are getting rust spots.  ARGH!  I've tried to contact the guy who sold them but to no avail.  I still love the look, feel, and quality edge of the knives.  And now, I have my new Friend to get rid of the rust spots.  Easy peasy!

Bowls - After & Before
Plates - Before & After



7 comments:

Jaclyn said...

We have a ceramic sink and use Bar Keepers on it... except I wish I could find something natural to do this. Baking soda and vinegar work ok, but not as white as BKF. Just wash those plates REALLY well before putting food in them!!!!

Dawn said...

Good reminder -- I did wash the dishes after rinsing. Editing done. :-)

Mary-Stewart said...

Wow! That is awesome! I had not heard of this before. I will have to let my mom know. She has some old white dishes that were my grandmothers. Think it would work on my cream and baby blue dishes?

besnini said...

That is really amazing... I need to remember to pick some up the next time I'm at the store.

Dawn said...

Mary-Stewart, my dishes are ceramic so I am not sure how it would do with different material/color. When in doubt, test a spot on the back of a dish to see if it affects finish/color. :-)

foodgirl said...

My hubby and I have been using this for years. I love it. It cleans my sink, which is also white ceramic. I have used it to clean my pots and pans which a stainless sliver. I used it to clean the toilets and shower. I don't know what I would do without it. Oh, can I can find it for super cheap at the dollar store near my house. I have found that the power stuff works better than the liquid.

foodgirl said...

I mean stainless steal. :)