Monday, January 16, 2012

A Confession and "The Experiment"

This is a bit of a humbling post for me (Kathie). I confess I spend too much money on stuff. Stuff I don't need, just stuff I want and often on impulse. I'm embarrassed and ashamed at my lack of stewardship with the money that the Lord provides through my Sweet Husband's work. The Lord has provided Sweet Husband with a profession that pays enough that we don't have to worry about finances, and I'm grateful. I have taken that gratitude too far (or maybe not far enough), and I have taken the finances for granted. I want to change that. I want to be a good steward of the money the Lord provides as well as other resources He gives, which leads me to The Experiment.

I decided that I would start keeping track of the times I choose to not spend money on something I would normally purchase. I was telling Dawn about what I was discovering in just TWO days, and she thought it would be interesting to compare the amount I'm saving from not impulse-buying with what she could purchase to meet her family's needs. By sharing this with our readers, hopefully it will spur us all on to be thoughtful spenders and therefore good stewards.

I started my little experiment on January 12, 2012. I'm a volunteer office worker at our church on Thursdays and Fridays. Usually I will stop at Starbucks because I'm so rushed to get to church on time, and I will pick up a grande latte and a breakfast sandwich at a cost of about $7-$8. Well, I chose to not do that. My Sweet Husband bought me a wonderful blender before Christmas so I used that to make a yummy protein smoothie to take with me. Saved me $7-$8 and who knows how many calories. Not much you might say, and that doesn't seem like much. But if I do that twice a week, that is $14 to $16 a week which works out to $728 - $832 a year. What could be done with that much money a year? Do I have your attention? :) Well, the second day of my experiment, I went to Target. This was a real eye-opener for me. I had a list of three things to get. As I was walking through the store I came upon a box of canisters. Really neat canisters, like Dawn's, which I really love. Well, I thought "I'll just get some....but you have a lot of Tupperware. But, I really like Dawn's canisters. They are so neat and seal so well. But you don't need canisters, do you. No, I don't need canisters." I passed them by, thereby NOT spending $49.99. I continued through the store and came upon the book section..."Oh! I could buy the next two books of The Hunger Game series. Oh, they only have them in hardback, and Hope already has the hardback copies. But she and they are at school, out of state; and you could probably get them at the library. True." So I passed them by and did NOT spend $26. Next was the toy department on my way toward the front of the store. The game Sorry Sliders caught my eye. I purchased that for some of my grandchildren for Christmas, but the pawns weren't in the game. I have contacted the company about getting some pawns. "Oh, I could just buy a new game, and then when I get the parts to the other game I can let the kids take one of the games to have at home and keep one at our house. You do not need to spend that money. Just be patient and wait for the pawns you are waiting for." So I passed them by (it was easier this time) and did NOT spend $20. Are you keeping count?? While in Target, I did NOT spend approximately $96 that, had I not been working on being a good steward, I would have easily spent. What could be done with that? I know some families that are struggling financially that would be happy to have that money. I know there are missionaries who could use that as they minister the gospel to people here and all around the world.

I'm committed to The Experiment for the next month. Dawn and I are going to blog about this experiment periodically. I'm guessing/hoping the not spending will get easier because I will learn to think about my purchases and spend money on real needs rather than just desires. As I think about it, this seems to be a lesson in contentment as well as self-control and good stewardship.

The Experiment 1.0
Desires Not Spent: $110
Needs Met: Dermatologist co-pay, Hubz' new glasses, 24 pack of toilet paper

1 comment:

Becky Arnold said...

I love this! Thinking about what I DON'T spend always motivates me, but writing it down is very encouraging! Thanks for this!