Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mexican Brownies

From my kitchen to yours!  My church had an international foods night a while back during one of our missions emphasis weekends.  I wanted to take something easy.  Something Mexican -- since I like Mexican and my last name fits that bill.  :-)  After looking at several recipes for "Mexican Brownies," I came up with something super simple with great results!

About the cayenne...  While I love Mexican and Tex-Mex foods, I can't really do a lot of spice.  Love me some mild Pace.  And I can do medium, but that is my limit.  Medium is like, "Woo, this is tasty ::sniff:: and kinda fun!"  The only reason I have cayenne is in my spice drawer is for the taco seasoning.  I've never used it in anything else except the brownies.  The first time I made the brownies (for the missions event), I think I used 1/8 tsp.  And they had quite the kick!  Almost too much for me.  (Or maybe just right since it would keep me from eating most of them...).  The second time I made the Mexican Brownies, I used maybe 1/16 of a teaspoon.  Basically a few sprinkles that I thought wouldn't make any difference and would probably be pointless.  I don't know what cayenne is on an atomic level -- but those few sprinkles were amazing!  It gave the brownies a depth of flavor that said "Mexican spice" without being spicy.  You could just add the cinnamon.  It'd still be tasty.  But the cayenne really does take it up a notch and makes it something special!

1 box brownie mix plus ingredients needed to make them
1 Tbs cinnamon
1/16 - 1/4 tsp cayenne

Combine brownie mix with cinnamon and cayenne.  Add wet ingredients and follow package directions for mixing and baking!  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: