Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Found: Granola Bars @ Home!

A while back, I tried Dining on a Dime's granola bars recipe.  It seriously tasted like a cookie (a very good cookie).  And I don't really prefer that my kids, who love granola bars, think they're eating cookies all the time!  I stumbled across a friend's Facebook post of a granola bar recipe she found.  I tried it last night.  It was SO easy and incredibly scrumptious -- in a granola bar kind of way!  They even look like real granola bars!  The recipe seems to be easily altered to suit your tastes.  This is beneficial, especially because our church has to be a nut-free zone due to a few kiddos with severe allergies.  So, just leave out the peanut butter or use soy butter as my friend did!  This recipe is also great because 1) you know what's going into your food and 2) it's economical.

More for the Munching: Make Your Own Granola Bars

My first batch, I did not use wheat germ (because that's not a staple for us).  Instead, I had saved the "cereal dust" from vanilla mini-wheats to use.  I also used cranberries and mini-chocolate chips.  I put whole almonds in a small portion of the granola mix for the "adult" bars.  :-)

Number one tip?  Make sure you have a BIG bowl!  Thank you, Nonie, for my special red bowl!  It's been a lifesaver!  <3

No comments: