Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Frugal Valentine's Day

Note: My apologies to my dear co-author for just now editing and posting this.  Better late than never, right?  Use it as an inspiration to celebrate an un-Valentine's Day for your spouse!  :-)

Oh, Valentine's Day... the day we all want/expect to be romanced by our boyfriend or husband (I'm assuming all our readers are ladies).  I don't know if My Honey and I are getting old or are just content or both, but we're just happy to be home on Valentine's day.  Of course, the last time we went out for dinner on Valentine's Day, we arrived at the restaurant straight up at 5:00...and we had a two hour wait.  That is crazy!  This year, My Honey sweetly asked what I would like for Valentine's Day.  I told him if he felt like he wanted to get something for me, I would be happy with some simple flowers and a nice card.  The day before Valentine's Day, My Honey ran to the grocery store for me and came home with some sweet red and white flowers.  They made me smile.

So, when Valentine's Day came, I really wanted to make it special for him.  He has been especially sweet and helpful recently because I had surgery on my ankle in November.  I tried to think of ways I could make the day special.  I had purchased a card -- then found another card from last year that I apparently forgot to give him.  So I signed them both.  I put one on our bed for him to find when he was getting dressed for the day.  While he was in the shower I laid out his clothes for the day because I know that is something he really appreciates.  Also, while he was in the shower, I ran out to his car and put another card in it with a box of Hot Tamale cinnamon candy... one of his favorites.  I called during the day to see how his day was.  Then for dinner, I took the leaves out of our table so it was as small as it could be which made the setting more intimate.  I covered it with a red cloth and used candles and the flowers he bought me as a center piece.


 I made a yummy dinner of salmon, asparagus, and stir-fried veggies.  It was all ready when he got home.
 

I also had big band music on my Pandora radio station.  We really enjoy that type of music.  It is, to our minds, romantic.  We had a really nice dinner, enjoying the food and each others' company.  He mentioned how nice it would be to take a walk after dinner.  I haven't been able to do that since my surgery.  I told him I would try!  :)  So after the kitchen was cleaned up, we went for a little walk.  We stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and a small sweet treat.  It was a really lovely evening.  I think we both felt like it was romantic and a nice way to celebrate our love for each other.

So you CAN have a nice, romantic Valentine's Day celebration for not a lot of money.  I think I could have served hot dogs and mac and cheese, and it would have been just as nice a celebration.  You really don't need fancy flowers, an expensive dinner out, and presents.  You really just need each other and find the joy of being together.  One thing that struck me that night as I was going to bed and reflecting on the day... He did get me flowers, and he did give me a very sweet card.  But the day was wonderful for me because I focused on him and the things I could do to make him feel loved.  It is a lesson I hope I take with me through the year...making him feel loved makes me happy.  I'm so grateful the Lord taught me that!

Please comment and leave your own ideas for frugal Valentine's ideas!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Gorgeous, Momma! You did a great food presentation and the table is just lovely in it's simplicity and vibrancy!