Monday, April 9, 2012

All Purpose Cleaner

Dining on a Dime pg. 403

Do you feel as weird reading about a cleaning product "recipe" from a book called "Dining on a Dime" as I feel writing about it?  Just seems weird, but I'm very glad these frugal recipes are in available.  I wish I had figured out how much this costs to make, but I didn't.  I made a single batch (about a gallon), and I cleaned a bathroom with it.  I sprayed the cleaner on the sink, shower floor, and toilet and let it sit while I swept the floor.  Then I wiped it up with a wet sponge.  I did have to use a little elbow grease in the sink and on the shower floor due to some soap scum (at least I guess that's what it was).  Also, I used the green scrubby side of the sponge for the sink and shower floor.  It made the sink and faucet nice and shiny!   It also worked well on the bathroom floor.  I was happy with the way everything came out.  However, I did use it on the front of my black dishwasher and it left a white film.  I wasn't too happy about that, but then I realized it was probably from the baking soda in the recipe.  Once wiped with a wet rag, all was well.  :)  Here is the recipe:

1 gallon of water
1cup ammonia
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup baking soda

Combine all ingredients.  Put in a spray bottle to clean showers, toilets, sinks and counters.  Great for most cleaning needs.  Use all-purpose cleaner to clean your floors.  Just spray on and wipe off as you would counter tops.

I'm going to do some research and find out if I can put some essential oils in there to make it smell really nice.  Not that it smells bad at all.... it sort of has no odor.  Anyway, I just don't want to combine anything and get myself sick....did that once when I was younger.  But that, as they say, is another story!  :)

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

If you want it non-toxic, you can leave out the ammonia, too, since vinegar is a natural disinfectant. I have heard (but have yet to try) adding tea tree oil as a secondary and deeper disinfectant.

besnini said...

Oh, Thank you, Jaclyn. I actually stopped using it because of the ammonia. I'm really trying to stop using toxic cleaners.