Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Update: Honey Wheat Bread

So, how does my family feel about the homemade honey wheat bread now that we've eaten both loaves over the last several days?  I'll be honest.  It was good bread, but it got more crumbly as time passed.  And the slices really are very different in size/shape than what we're used to.  It made yummy, rustic French toast, though!  Forget about reaching the slices in a toaster.  And we never even tried to make a meat sandwich on them due to their short oval shape.  (I was going to say "ovular shape" but felt like that was a weird word.  And, after googling, it is definitely not something to describe bread.)

That said, I think making honey wheat bread at home will NOT be an every week event.  But it will definitely be alternated somewhat with store-bought bread.  This is not a failure.  We learn from every experience.  And next time we might just devour the bread faster -- it's pretty amazing fresh out of the oven!

THAT said, we are planning to change to a different store-bought bread.  I'm brewing up a post on my recent label-research grocery shopping trip and some things I realized.  One such discovery was how hard it is to find a bread (at a big grocery store chain) that does not contain ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and additives OR tree-hugger ingredients (whole seeds 'n such) not suitable for kids...or normal bread-use for that matter.  Lo and behold, I sent my hubby to the store for bread -- because I burned myself out on a couple homemade recipes in one afternoon and could not see myself making bread, which was desperately needed.  And he found that Safeway has a new brand Safeway Kitchens that provides a honey wheat bread containing no weird or factory-added ingredients.  For only $0.30 more per loaf than our regular cheap-o bread.  I'll take that!  Between that and continuing to experiment with the honey wheat bread recipe, I think we've successfully made a baby-step toward healthier eating in the bread arena!  Praise the Lord!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's be careful about throwing around the (often derogatory, politically charged) term "tree-hugger". Grass fed beef, free range eggs, seeds and nuts are wonderful for a person's body and overall health regardless of one's conviction of what "stewardship" entails. It is also true that these diet choices are more sustainable than conventional feed lots and chicken houses, but last I checked, enjoying some crunch to your bread has nothing to do with your views concerning environment. :-)

Dawn said...

Oo, good point, Anonymous. Sometimes I forget that people can be sensitive to certain terms. I in no way was using "tree-hugger" in it's derogatory, politically incorrect sense. I'm enjoying the process of discovering how to move my family closer to eating more things the way they are found in nature (like cows eating normal grass, chickens not being couped up, foods being unprocessed). I think I was using "tree-hugger" because I can't think of a way to sum up the kinds of foods I'd like my family to start incorporating our diet. Suggestions are most welcome! And thank you, again, for keeping me in check with my terminology. I don't want to offend anyone!!

Jaclyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaclyn said...

I smiled when I read "tree-hugger." :-) I have a hard time labeling healthy eating, too. I used to think that people were weird "health nuts" for grinding their own wheat and now I wish I could. I used to think it was "too expensive" to eat organically and yet we are trying to do so now. I also used to think that I ate pretty healthy until I really started looking into some things... like what is in yogurt! Yikes! So, now I just call it eating healthy and let people think what they will. :-)

Dawn said...

Ditto, ditto, and ditto, Jaclyn! Eating healthy. Sounds good to me!