Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Experiment 2.1

Explanation of The Experiment and if you're curious about how we name each Experiment Post... it's just the month number and Experiment post number for that month.  :)

In the last two weeks, I have saved $22.50 because I didn't go to Starbucks three times. I did choose to go one day on the way to church -- I started a new way of eating and sort of had a last "hurrah" on Jan. 26 while on my way to church. (I am feeling great on this new eating plan, btw!).  I went to Sam's last weekend and saved at least $15 on not looking at the little girl clothes.  I actually probably saved more because Sam's carries really cute clothes and good brands!  I haven't eaten any fast food so that is about another $30.00.

Compromise time.  :)  Remember The Hunger Games books I wanted to buy?  Well, on the recommendation of my wonderful son-in-law, Dawn's Hubz, I downloaded the Kindle App to my laptop and my phone.  Then I purchased the two books and downloaded them to the app.  One book was $9.99 and the other was $5.99 -- which is about $11 less than if I had bought hard copies.  Could I have gotten them from the library?  Yes...but there is a long waiting list.  One of the perks I have to reading them now is I can discuss them with the people in my life who are also reading them.  :)

So, there you have what I've saved by not spending.  Interestingly, I sort of automatically started not spending.  I think there are two reasons.  The first is that life has gotten pretty busy.  I'm out the door nearly every morning by 8:30, smoothie in hand, partly due to wanting to save money and partly due to the new eating plan.  And second, I know I want to be more careful with our resources, so I don't think too much about buying extra stuff.  If it isn't on the list, I don't think about it.  :)  That is a good thing!  [Dawn says, "Something I've struggle with lately -- just stick to what's on the list!"]

Desires Not Spent: $78.50
Needs Met: Super Undies for grandson and an entire tank of gas -OR- an entire month's cell phone bill

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh, I wish I would have known! You could have borrowed my Hunger Games books...which I borrowed from my nephew. : )