Friday, February 10, 2012

Window Cleaner

One way I'm trying to be frugal and careful with our resources is by trying to make my own cleaning products.  The Dining on a Dime book has quite a few recipes for homemade cleaning products.  Today I tried the Window Cleaner, p. 403. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups rubbing alcohol
water
1 tsp. dishwashing liquid

In a one-gallon container, mix ammonia and rubbing alcohol.  Fill almost to the top with water.  Add dishwashing liquid and mix. Top off with water. Rated by consumer Reports Magazine to work much better (and much cheaper) than most commercial window and kitchen sprays.  Alcohol is the secret ingredient - it's what commercial window washers use. *safe on most, but not all household surfaces.

My verdict?  It worked wonderfully!!!  I actually wanted to keep cleaning the windows I was working on!  Unfortunately, I was short on time...

No comments: